Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Day 21 to Day 26

I'm back again...Well, just continue with my blog, still have one week's event before I catch up the timeline...lol
Day 21 in Evatt (28 July)
People are recovering from hang overs...So just another normal day slacking in my room. Watched some new episodes of Kekkaishi...Yay...I can get it from here..Shh...Don't tell anyone how I get it...Haha..I really think Tokine is honto kawaii neh....
Tokine & Hakubi
Yoshimori & Tokine
To those who have no idea about this show, kindly wikipedia or google it. Just to summarize. This is a manga turned anime by Yellow Tanabe which is still following the storyline of the manga (hope it keeps this way, don't really like fillers) it's a story about Yoshimori Sumimura and Tokine Yukimura, heirs of the Hazama clan (Their grandparents always fight on the topic of which family is the true heir) with the ability of using Kekkai (Magical barrier) to capture and destroy Ayakashi (monsters/demons). They were selected to protect the land of Karasumori (their school by day, battle field by night) and its unusual spiritual power from the intrusion of any ayakashi that comes near (They absorb the power of Karasumori). So the exciting story begins....Do check out this anime out when you have time..The effect and the quality of the anime is superb....By the way, it's uber funny too...
At night.....I went to MYSUN's pizza gathering...Woot....MYSUN is a society formed by M'sians studying in Uni of Newcastle..Something like MSA and AMCISA in NTU. It was fun gathering with people all the way from your home town, the familiar accent, the familiar languages (Mandarin and Malay) and the familiar games...A really fun-filled night...
Barahineban, a really nice and quiet place (Evatt is always noisy) didn't want to stay here cause it's too far from school..Hehe..Evatt's the nearest...But didn't know that it's the noisest too
No no..We only had soft drinks...
We played.....Mafia!!!
And a huge group for Heart-attack...We used UNO instead of poker...
Wacko...
And some random group photos...
Day 22 (29 July)
Well, my cousin from NUS mountaineering club requested this...
A Kathmandu Baffin Island Jacket V2, a heavyweight fleece. Something he always wanted but couldn't get it in S'pore because there is no Kathmandu shop in S'pore (Only available in Aussie and NZ) and they don't ship their product oversea (How stupid...) So travelled alone to Kotara early in the morning to get it...Original selling price, A$239...But guess how much I got it...A$107...Haha...It was a good bargain cause Aussie is still having their Winter sales...So most of the things selling at clearance price...Haha...He's lucky that I came at the right time and right place (Limited Kathmandu stores in Aussie, and there's one so near my uni...Woot...) But it was a long walk from the train station (Actually I went to the wrong station, didn't notice that there's another station nearer...Only realise after I refer to google earth...Sianz....)..Didn't take any photos cause was busy running to catch the train on time (Sunday's train's timetable is like hell, if you miss the train, you have to wait another 2 freaking hours for the next one to come). But there was some waiting time at the interchange (about 1 hour). So I just travel around the places near the station...Hamilton...(Have to change train everytime I travel to my uni, but this is the first time I have time to spare for Hamilton...
My Uni's station, Warabrook
Hamilton
Hamilton
Some punk & gothic shop, didn't go in cause I was alone...Scary...lol
After that, I went into a supermarket, was hoping to get some groceries, but I saw...Chocolates...Haha..And they were having special discounts on chocolates..Half price (89cents each)...Suddenly craved for chocolates so I bought these two...Chokito is very very nice, crunchy and sweet...Club is dark chocolate, a bit bitter but I like...I'm not sure whether they are available in S'pore/M'sia or not cause normally I'll go for Cadbury or Ferrero Rocher (FR is quite ex here...Sianz...)
Was testing some functions of my camera (Canon Powershot S80)
The reason I was rushing to catch the train on time was...

ICC...(Inter College Challenge)

Yup, I could've relax and travel slowly at Kotara and Hamilton in a cool sunday afternoon but I had to rush back for ICC. Well, Uni of Newcastle has it's inter-hall games and Evatt House is the most supportive college for every games. So how could I miss the fun...(FYI: There are 4 colleges/hostels in UoN, Evatt House, Edwards Hall, International House and Barahineban; ranked by the "ON"ness [enthusiastic] in ICC)..So here are some photos...
Free BBQ for everyone....
Look at the queue...
Maree & Amanda
Maree, Me, Sherro

Evattians wear RED...

The girls team...(Evatt 6 - International House 0)..They are the best....
Day 23 (30 July)
After two days of fun and excitement...It's monday again...Morning: Neuroscience, Head and Neck Anatomy lab...We need to study the anatomy of the brain, skull, and all the muscles, nerves, arteries..Well, seems like I've chosen the wrong course, damn..But no...Cause I'm the only guy in the whole lab (except lecturers). This is a module for students taking speech pathology, so it's mostly girls (there are 3 other guys but in different lab session and no...I didn't choose the lab time on purpose...)..Since we are studying anatomy, other than letting us look at the plastic models, they let us look at cadavers...Yes..corpse, bodies, dead people, whatever you want to call it...Well, it's actually like BodyWorld revisit...(Remember Dr Gunther von Hagens??) During the exhibition, physical contact was forbidden (rules are meant to be broken) so it was just visual impact. But this time, the whole lab is filled with the smell of formalin and we are encouraged to touch the muscles, the nerves etc. So this time is visual, smell, and touch impact...Well, we are not suppose to take any photos during the lab..But...Haha..I secretly took some lor...Just to share with you guys...I took the risk...
Here goes..Well,no worries for those faint-hearted cause the photos were taken with a poor 1.3MP Nokia 6230i.
Superior view of the body, scalp halved.
Posterior view of the head, head halved.
Lateral view of the neck, skinned..
Day 24 (31 July)
Well, time flies...I'm already finished my first month in Australia...Well, it's really a nice place to live in. The people, the culture, the scenery, the weather (abit too cold for me), the food (abit expensive) etc. Well, for those who are reading this blog, please try to apply for sem2's INSTEP and come to Newcastle, this place is not as good as Sydney but it's simple, it's a place where you can ask some friends to have a picnic and chill under the warm sun (sunblock is a must, very few cloud in Aussie, direct UV)..So if you are still wondering where to go, choose Newcastle, I'll be here until end of december and feel free to ask me the anything you want to know about the application, visa, airticket, living expenses, travelling, hostel application, subject matching, and lots and lots of other information. It's kind of hard if you are coming alone to a place you are not familiar with but it really trains you to be more independent, even you feel that you are already very independent, what I can say is that this is much more different than what you think you are capable of...So don't hesitate, give yourself a try and test your limit. I can ensure you that this is nothing like what you've achieve before...
Haha..Sounds serious har...lol...Well, must promote the INSTEP programme a bit mah...Since im the Ambassador (Dua Sai, big shit)..Well, continue with my day...
After my lessons, our block had a small celebration...We had pizza for dinner...Woot...It's a treat from hall office cause our block won the cleanest block award last semester and I get to have the old exchange student's share...Thanks Noah...Haha...Well, here are some photos...
Domino pizza...Apparently they are more famous than Pizza Hut...
Now I want to show you guys something special. First, Wall's in S'pore and M'sia is called Streets in Aussie (Hopefully I don't get it wrong but the logo is the same...) Second, they use gay as happy (Althought that is true...-_-''') So they have this...
Golden Gaytime...
And you really feel gay when you eat it...lol
Day 25 (1 Aug)
Wed is another research design day...Today we discussed about pain...And somebody really did a research on pain stimulation and tested the sentivity of the stimulated area (electrical and mechanical stimulation) after stimulation, talked about hyperalgesia, nociceptors...Well, I didn't know that there are so many pain which can be classified...And so many things can be discussed on such subjective matter...They even ranked the pain level during the test....It was impressive but there were so many problem which they didn't (or can't) explain...But it was fun reading the paper...
Day 26 (2 Aug)
Thurs is my lab day, 9am to 5pm (Not that long actually..Hehe...We always settle the prac before 2pm, so I don't understand why they set the duration for so long for the course details, I was cheated...Oh..I forgot to talk about my lab last week...My bad...This is what will happen when you have a lot of information you need to process and you have a slow processor...Anyway, we were testing the effect of sodium and calcium ions availability to the motility and the acrosomal reaction of sea snail sperms...We had to break the poor things in order to get their sperms and eggs...
Austrocochlea obtusa (Zebra top shell)
You remember I mentioned I hate phase contrast microscope? I still hate it cause the experiment wants us to determine the time of attachment, penetration to egg jelly and egg plasma membrane (How to hell to tell the difference between layers and when the event happens when you have so many sperms...-_-), and that was last week's lab, lab report due in on week...Lagi sian...

Well, continue with today's lab, had my plant bio lab today, it's about the effect of phosphorus availability to the root architecture of Arabidopsis, we get to use 32P for this prac..Woot..But we didn't deal with it this week, we just measured some root lengths and amount of root hairs..

Hmm...I think I'll continue next time already...Need to read the paper for tomorrow before I sleep...lol..Stay tune for more...

To be continued...

No comments: